Monday, October 26, 2009

Portrayal of Arabs In Movies

Being an Arab and from the Middle East I thought the readings, video, and discussion were all very interesting. I do think there are a lot of misconceptions about our culture, but I've never actually encountered anyone that thought the extremes are really true, not have I ever been targeted in any way due to my culture.

In regards to the video we watched about the way Arabs are portrayed in movies, I think that it's understandable in an entertainment sense. A point was brought up in class that people don’t want to see the good or nice things because it won't be that entertaining and I totally understand that. Throughout history of movies, Arabs have been portrayed in a negative light. Very few movies show both sides; Arabs are mostly portrayed as bad, dangerous guys. However, the way Arabs are portrayed is not the norm and when their depicted that way over and over again it may lead to misconceptions where the lines between fact and fiction are distorted. And not just for Arabs, this kind of stereotyping can happen with any culture.

This is where stereotyping causes a problem in cultural communication. It can cause misunderstandings and problems when dealing with people of a different culture. Therefore, I don’t think issues like this are always a good idea, even if you think it's simply entertainment because it can be misleading to some people.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is interesting that you mentioned how “Arabs are mostly portrayed as bad, dangerous guys.” I think it is true that often Arabic women are overlooked. If they are shown in movies, they are either portrayed as being particularly submissive and quiet, or overly sexual and exotic. I can not think of any movies that have Arabic women playing strong, leading roles. I am not sure, however, if this is yet another product of American stereotyping (in which Americans see a male-dominated Arabic society where women are not allowed to speak out) or if this is because there have not been many Arabic women actors in Hollywood. I guess also the movies that provide stereotypical Arabic characters (terrorists, deeply-religious, and foolish spending of money) have been, traditionally, more male-centered activities or traits that do not accurately describe stereotypes about women (as violent, person in charge of the finances, and serious) in the American sense.

    ReplyDelete